DavidOverton.com
This site is my way to share my views and general business and IT information with you about Microsoft, IT solutions for ISVs, technologists and businesses, large and small.  

moving SBS 2003 to a new quicker server

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Points 37
jsingh9 Posted: Sun, Sep 9 2007 2:27 PM

Hi All,

I would like some help/options on doing some work with SBS 2003.

Objective:
I need to move our current SBS 2003 Std server (running on a PC spec machine) to a new server (Quad core etc) with SBS 2003 Premium.

Steps:
My first step will be to build/install SBS Premium and from experience and the SAMS Unleashed book I should be able to do this fine.
The reason for going to SBS Premium is to use ISA server functionality for blocking/limiting user  internet access - which I am comfortable with configuring

Specifically I'd like to know is there a way for me to backup all the current SBS settings (accounts, mailboxes, data) and restore them onto the new server, without me having to recreate them

OR IF I have to build the new server from scratch (create accounts, mailboxes etc) then does that mean I have to remove the current PC's from the domain and then join them to the new one.  I.E. can the clients tell if the server has changed even if I stick to the same server name?  What happens to the users mailboxes and data?

Please let me know if you have a better way of completing the objective, have you experience in doing this

Regards

J

• | Post Points: 37
Top 10 Contributor
Points 84,751

Look on technet at the migration of Windows Server 2003 to SBS 2003.  Then look at SBS 2000 to SBS 2003.  This should get you your user accounts and e-mail across.  I posted a while back on how to backup and restore WSS and then you would need to move your files. I don't think you can manage all you SBS settings, but I could be wrong.

Alternatively look for "Swing Migration" and buy the kit to get the docs on how to do it.

ttfn

David

P.S.  If ther server hardware is similar, you might be able to do a backup and restore of SBS Std to the new box if that helps, but past experience has taught me that migration is better

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Points 140
Maxibo replied on Wed, Dec 19 2007 11:07 PM

http://www.sbsmigration.com/ is the only way to go.

• | Post Points: 21
Top 10 Contributor
Points 84,751

SBSMigration is one answer, but some people don't get on with it.  You might want to play around with the concepts inside a couple of virtual machines.

ttfn

David

• | Post Points: 21
Top 150 Contributor
Points 5
league67 replied on Fri, Jan 25 2008 8:02 PM

Or look into imaging. Image your existing server (can be done without even shutting exchange, sql ... ) and then just import it to new machine. Only thing you'll probably need are new drivers (notably scsi / sas controller and netwtwork adapters) or you can use Universal restore that comes with some of imaging products. 

HTH

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS

(c)David Overton 2006-23