DavidOverton.com
This site is my way to share my views and general business and IT information with you about Microsoft, IT solutions for ISVs, technologists and businesses, large and small.  

Successful migration...so I thought?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 75 Contributor
Points 47
aggiedan97 posted on Wed, Jan 20 2010 1:07 PM

I completed the SBS 2003 to SBS 008 migration and operated successfully for 17 days...approaching the 21 day coexistence date for the 2003 and 2008 SBS servers.  Everything has been working perfectly with minor issues that all have been quickly resolved. 

In an effort to complete the migration I proceeded with the decomission steps just as instructed and the steps worked flawlessley.  I was careful to not-check the checkbox that indicated this was the last domain controller...etc...

The SBS 2003 server rebooted and trouble.  Instinctively I rebooted the SBS2008 server and now there are issue.  Exchange is not functioning and "a suitable domain controller can not be found..."

HELP!

• | Post Points: 5

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Points 47

After running DCDIAG I received results with many 'passes' and expected exchange failures based on domain issues.

The only non-exchange error is NCSecDesc with a couple of context:

(1)

Starting test: NCSecDesc
         Error NT AUTHORITY\ENTERPRISE DOMAIN CONTROLLERS doesn't have Replicating Directory Changes In Filtered Set
         access rights for the naming context:DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=<domain name xxxx>,DC=local
         Error NT AUTHORITY\ENTERPRISE DOMAIN CONTROLLERS doesn't have Replicating Directory Changes In Filtered Set
         access rights for the naming context:DC=ForestDnsZones,DC=<domain namexxxx>,DC=local
         ......................... <server name xxx> failed test NCSecDesc

(2) The second one is a system log failure which I believe is related to the  previous DC rights.

• | Post Points: 21
Top 10 Contributor
Points 84,751

Hi,

There are many areas that can be investigated, but it does sound as if you have a directory problem, so the questions:

1. Did you get any errors while migrating to SBS 2008 from SBS 2003?
  2. When decommissioning, did you uninstall Exchange 2003 before dc-promo'ing the SBS 2003 box?
  3. Did you see any errors before you turned off the SBS 2003 box - in the event viewer for example?
  4. Have you phoned Microsoft support as a simple call might save you many, many hours versus the cost of the support call?

Thanks

David

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS

(c)David Overton 2006-23