DavidOverton.com
This site is my way to share my views and general business and IT information with you about Microsoft, IT solutions for ISVs, technologists and businesses, large and small.  

stdole32.tlb error with excel 2007

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Points 63
pharmg Posted: Tue, Apr 16 2013 1:49 AM

I have the same problem that Steve had in his post. Everytime I open Excel I get the stdole32.tlb error and Office starts the reconfigure and install screen.  When I cancel, Excel finally opens fine.He said that he copied in David's Dword text and ran it, replacing Word with Excel and that it solve his problem with opening Excel. I would like to know what David's Dword text is and how to use it, and hopefully solve may stdole32.tlb problem. Any help would be appreciated. Pasted below are post of Steve's in Mar 2010. 

David,

Whenever I opened Word 2007 I was getting the installer issue and haveing to reconfigure every time.  However, your Dword reg fix worked.

But, everytime I open Excel I get the STdole32.tlb error and Office starts the reconfigure and install screen.  When I cancel, Excel finally opens fine.

Any solution for this issue?  All other Office 2007 Ultimate Apps, including Word run fine, it's just Excel giving me the problem.

I tried your Dword solution on Excel but it did not work.

Actually, I copied in David's Dword text and ran it, replacing Word with Excel and now Excel also opens without the STdole32.tlb or configuration errors, thanks David.  Your solution worked in both Word and Excel.

Steve

I have the very same problem. Any help would be appreciated and Thanks in advance.

Michael

• | Post Points: 21
Top 10 Contributor
Points 84,751

The links in this post where inappropriate and removed.  However, the post for the solution talked about can be found here

Top 75 Contributor
Points 63
pharmg replied on Tue, Apr 16 2013 7:42 PM

Hi David

The string for the reg for Word worked great, no more config pregess in Word, however I still have the stdole32.tlb and config progess in Excel. I changed the "Word" in the string to "Excel" on the first run and changed "Word" to "Excel" and DWORD to DEXCEL on the second run. Neither got rid of the stdole & config progess in Excel. Any suggestions?? Thanks for getting Word straighten out for me. Microsoft Office Small Business 2007, Win 7 (x64) Dell Latitude 6420.

Thanks, Michael

Top 10 Contributor
Points 84,751

Michael,

I just don't have an answer for the stdole32.tbl issue.  Some people have suggested completely removing Office, it's files and reg entries and re-loading as a way to fix, but this has no guarantees.  My fix simply fixes one issue.  Also, changing DWORD to DEXCEL does not work as DWORD is an instruction to the REG command, not something that will impact office :-)

Thanks

David

Top 75 Contributor
Points 63
pharmg replied on Thu, Apr 18 2013 12:40 AM

Thanks again David for your help. At least I have Word taken care of. I do appreciate the help.

MIchael

Top 500 Contributor
Points 5

The error messages described in the "Symptoms" section of this article can appear if the permissions on the following registry subkey, or one or more of its subkeys, has been changed from their default values:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\TypeLib

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS

(c)David Overton 2006-23