DavidOverton.com
This site is my way to share my views and general business and IT information with you about Microsoft, IT solutions for ISVs, technologists and businesses, large and small.  

Windows 7 deleteing bug

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Points 969
tezfair Posted: Mon, Sep 28 2009 8:53 AM

Upgraded (not a fresh install) to MAPS Windows 7 over the weekend and had a little play, but this morning found a rather interesting bug.

I use a script with robocopy to backup my laptop to SBS 2003 and then shutdown. This morning I found it paused due to the drive on the server being full. So within W7 I UNC'ed to the laptop folder to delete my new W7 backup.

Now bare in mind that the hard drive I back up to is only 500Gb. I was curious to see that W7 claimed there was 8.64Tb and over 4 million files to delete (that before I stopped it and manually deleted it via the server). Its as if it see's junctions and re-adds them into the list of files to delete. A bit like robocopy without the /XJ switch in reverse.

Just t add, there's no beta version ever installed on the laptop - only with VPC.

Terry

• | Post Points: 21
Top 10 Contributor
Points 84,751

Taz, It is possible that you can't see the junction points over a network. I'm not even sure they get replicated or how it works. The /xj command stops them being traversed, it does not replicate them. If you can grab me a screen shot and perhaps a dir /s /a > dir_list.txt I can get someone to look at it. ttfn David

Top 10 Contributor
Points 969
tezfair replied on Mon, Sep 28 2009 10:44 PM

Hi David

I have been able to reproduce the error again this evening but in this case I only backed-up a small portion of the laptop, however the results appear to be the same.

I still think its something to do with the junction points, as while I watch it, its as if it loops, for example, I watch it delete Name: 0 then 1 then 2 then 0 then 1 then 2 etc.

so on the server, it shows the folder properties as this..

so we know exactly now much we start off with.

so we start the delete..

and already we have more files

and more..

more..

until I give up...

I can send you a directory listing after the backup tonight but would prefer to send it direct due to company names and other details

Terry

Top 10 Contributor
Points 84,751

Terry,

it does not sound right.  What technology is the server since I am sure I will get asked.  I've posted the question internally.

Thanks
David

Top 10 Contributor
Points 969
tezfair replied on Tue, Sep 29 2009 9:32 AM

David,

Its SBS 2003 std on a Fujitsu Seimens box, fully patched.

I ran the same test from another computer this morning and its gone through successfully, so I need to figure out what is different between my laptop and a desktop that would cause the problem on one machine and not the other. Only major difference is that I use a USB docking station. I may dig out an old laptop hard drive and do a test install to confirm whether the error is at a hardware or software level.

Will keep you posted.

Terry

Top 10 Contributor
Points 84,751

Terry,

Do you want to send me an e-mail with the preferred contact e-mail addressed for the guys from the Windows dev team to contact you on.  They want to get a solid reproduction in the lab as it looks at the moment like a bug.

Thanks

David

Top 10 Contributor
Points 969
tezfair replied on Wed, Sep 30 2009 6:28 PM

This is looking like a permissions based problem. The folder on the server has full access to 'me' - the user, the system etc. However while watching W7 delete I was also refreshing the servers shared folder / open files screen and seeing was being accessed.

What appears to be happening is that the open mode is showing "Read" and "no access". its as if W7 attempts one way and fails then tries again and succeeds using a different approach. Each time it fails it increments the list of items and file size so it then looks as if its finding more files to delete.

My current test started at 101Gb to delete and finished at...

I can confirm that files are being deleted. Its just misreporting it.

Terry

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS

(c)David Overton 2006-23