DavidOverton.com
This site is my way to share my views and general business and IT information with you about Microsoft, IT solutions for ISVs, technologists and businesses, large and small.  

Outlook 2007 prompts for username after migration

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Matt Beardon posted on Tue, Dec 22 2009 9:16 PM

At one of my clients sites, 3 of the users are running outlook 2007 (sp2) and 6 are running outlook 2003

When the 2007 users connect to the sbs 2008 server they are prompted for the external remote.domain.co.uk username and password.  If they enter it, the prompt comes up again.  If they escape and then click connect on the emails come through ok.  The outlook 2003 users have no problem.

Is this a comon issue after migration? 

Users are logged into the domain on XP sp3 pcs with Office 2007 sp2.

I've tried recreating outlook profiles but no change.  I've created a profile on a non-domain pc and it remembers the username and password.

I've tried disabling Outlook Anywhere in exchange.  With no effect? 

Any ideas?

• | Post Points: 21

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Verified by Matt Beardon

David

After searching the web for a day, I've resolved this issue

It appears the OAB file was corrupt, I discovered the above registry fix resolved a symtom - the user was unable to user the out of office wizard as well

I removed it and recreated and then restarted IIS and everything was working again.

Started Exchange Management in Administrator mode

Check existing config using: Get-AutodiscoveryVirtualDirectory

Deleted existing config: Remove-AutodiscoveryVirtualDirectory -Identity "Autodiscover (SBS Web Applications)"

Then Recreated: New-AutodiscoverVirtualDirectory -WebsiteName "SBS Web Applications" -InternalUrl https://FQND_OF_Exchange/Autodiscover/Autodiscover.xml -BasicAuthentication 1 -WindowsAuthentication 1

Restart IIS and checked client pc.  I also found a handy way of checking autodiscovery is working.  Hold down control on the client pc and click the outlook icon on the task bar.  This shows the normally hidden Test Autodiscovery feature.  I was getting bad response and now its working fine.

Hope this helps others

Matt

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Points 84,751

Matt,

are the clients members of the domain and on the local LAN network?  Also, have you loaded the SBS 2008 roll-ups?  Finally, is Office 2007 configured to try using HTTP first on fast & slow networks (this can be found under E-mail Accounts, Exchange Settings, More Settings, Connection, Exchange Proxy)?

Thanks

David

David

Client pc are on domain, HTTP/ Proxy is not enabled.

If I cancel the password request and click Need Password which is displayed in the corner of outlook and choose Type Exchange password and connect it connects ok, then 1 minute later it prompts again.

All updates have been applied to server and client pcs.

Also tried the http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956531/en-us adding RPC registry even though its XP client

regards

Matt

• | Post Points: 5

Follow up

By adding the

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\RPC\DisableTransientFailureAuthPrompts  - DWord value 1

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\RPC\TransientFailureBackoffs - DWord value 1000

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\RPC\UseWindowsUserCredentials - DWord value 1

I've also added another offline address book which microsoft http://support.microsoft.com/kb/905813 suggested.

Oulook reports error 0x8004010F - Unable to download offline address book

I did move during the migration however I've also created a new one just in case. 

Matt

Verified by Matt Beardon

David

After searching the web for a day, I've resolved this issue

It appears the OAB file was corrupt, I discovered the above registry fix resolved a symtom - the user was unable to user the out of office wizard as well

I removed it and recreated and then restarted IIS and everything was working again.

Started Exchange Management in Administrator mode

Check existing config using: Get-AutodiscoveryVirtualDirectory

Deleted existing config: Remove-AutodiscoveryVirtualDirectory -Identity "Autodiscover (SBS Web Applications)"

Then Recreated: New-AutodiscoverVirtualDirectory -WebsiteName "SBS Web Applications" -InternalUrl https://FQND_OF_Exchange/Autodiscover/Autodiscover.xml -BasicAuthentication 1 -WindowsAuthentication 1

Restart IIS and checked client pc.  I also found a handy way of checking autodiscovery is working.  Hold down control on the client pc and click the outlook icon on the task bar.  This shows the normally hidden Test Autodiscovery feature.  I was getting bad response and now its working fine.

Hope this helps others

Matt

Top 10 Contributor
Points 84,751

Matt,

you seem to be hitting a number of issues wiht this SBS install - was there any errors during the migration?

However, thanks for filling inthe details for others.  I hope this is really useful for them.

Thanks

David

HI David

This server only had one issue - the dns sync

Matt

Top 10 Contributor
Points 84,751

Was the DNS sync issue resolved and did it impact the AD at all?

There is lots of information in the DNS that if missing will break other Windows systems.

Thanks

David

Yes - When the server was installing initially I was unable to move mailboxes between servers initially - obviously there must have been a break that caused this corruption.  Even after it was re-established (by grabbing FSMO roles) the corruption remained.

Everything is working now so I can demote the server and finally shutdown the old sbs 2003 server.

Top 10 Contributor
Points 84,751

Before you demote SBS 2003, uninstall Exchange - it is much easier than doing it afterwards :-)

Then you can DCPromo the SBS 2003 box.

Hi David

After thinking the issue was resolved a few months ago - I noticed all users using outlook 2007 were getting the same issues again - this occurred at several different clients sites (even clean sbs 2008 builds)

Apparently, this is a known issue now - applying exchange 2007 rollup 9 or exhange 2007 sp2 using the sbs 2008 tool, resolves this issue. 

Hope this helps other readers.

Matt 

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS

(c)David Overton 2006-23