DavidOverton.com
This site is my way to share my views and general business and IT information with you about Microsoft, IT solutions for ISVs, technologists and businesses, large and small.  

Migration of sbs2003 to sbs 2008

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Points 109
techshan posted on Sat, Jan 29 2011 3:53 PM

Hi

In our company we have a windows SBS2003 PREMIUM server configured as domain controller with exchange 2003 & Blackberry enterprise server also loaded.We are planning to go for a new server with SBS 2011 standard with premium addons for sql support for ERP solutions to be implemented in near future.

We want to retain the old SBS2003 with AD only to be configured as newly (removing the current AD after migrating to new server,)exchange 2010 & Blackberry server for our company.

Anybody please advise us the procedure for migration as of I have seen in this forum coexisting sbs in single domain is not possible!

And another question also I have-------   my old sbs 2003 server is with name as abc.xyz.com , the problematic name unforutunately given by the installers at the time they commissioned the old server.We have  for our company a domain xyz.com  hosted through third party service provider.So we have some mail related issues in our local exchange (to be brief in describing)due to the current sbs 2003 server naming as abc.xyz.com instead of abc.xyz.local as recommended by Microsoft,

To get rid of this problem of name also,I want to use abc.xyz.local for the new server to be installed.Please guide me in this regard 

Thanks & Regards

S.Swaminathan

• | Post Points: 21

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 10 Contributor
Points 84,751
Verified by techshan

Hi,

this is not a simple process.  The SBS 2003 box cannot be retained without a rebuild.  The change in domain name cannot be delivered without building a brand new domain and re-creating the users.  There are some tools here that can help, including the built in tools for SBS 2011, but this is a non-trivial exercise.  You will basically be exporting everything, massaging it and then re-importing.  All the servers will need to be built ground up and you will need SBS Premiun to get the Windows license for your 2nd server (the original SBS 2003 hardware, now to be running 2008 R2 with BES).

If this is not something you have experience in, I would absolutely find a partner who has been through this migration before otherwise the chance of data-loss and extreme hassle int he business are very high.  It is not something I could simply talk you through - it is more like the subject of another book!

Thanks

Davud

• | Post Points: 41

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Points 84,751

Lots of questions to this:

1) Are you saying you want to keep your SBS 2003 box and use it - either as a 2nd server or to have SBS 2011 installed on it?

2) Do you want to keep the existing AD or throw it away?

3) How many users?

I can answer for now and say that you are unlikely to be able to use your original box unless it has the horsepower required (8GB, 64-bit).  Also, the domain move cannot be done simply either.

Thanks

David

Top 25 Contributor
Points 109

Thank you for your prompt reply David!

1.SBS 2003 box has to be retained as a blackberry server and file storage use

2.AD has to be in new server because we are going to procure XEON server equipped with 64 bit processor, 8GB RAM and RAID hdd's

3.Users upto 75

You can also suggest us a plan so that we would be able to retain the blackberry server installed in SBS 2003 and also the issue of existing name of the sbs2003 server which is giving many mail related issues

Thanks

S.Swaminathan

Top 10 Contributor
Points 84,751
Verified by techshan

Hi,

this is not a simple process.  The SBS 2003 box cannot be retained without a rebuild.  The change in domain name cannot be delivered without building a brand new domain and re-creating the users.  There are some tools here that can help, including the built in tools for SBS 2011, but this is a non-trivial exercise.  You will basically be exporting everything, massaging it and then re-importing.  All the servers will need to be built ground up and you will need SBS Premiun to get the Windows license for your 2nd server (the original SBS 2003 hardware, now to be running 2008 R2 with BES).

If this is not something you have experience in, I would absolutely find a partner who has been through this migration before otherwise the chance of data-loss and extreme hassle int he business are very high.  It is not something I could simply talk you through - it is more like the subject of another book!

Thanks

Davud

• | Post Points: 41
Top 25 Contributor
Points 109

Hi David

We already have the license for the old currently running SBS 2003 server  premium.You have mentioned that "......you will need SBS Premium to get the Windows license for your 2nd server (the original SBS 2003 hardware,now to be running 2008 R2 with BES)

Can you explain this part?

Thanks

Swaminathan

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS

(c)David Overton 2006-23