DavidOverton.com
This site is my way to share my views and general business and IT information with you about Microsoft, IT solutions for ISVs, technologists and businesses, large and small.  

Document redirection - turn off for a single user

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Points 214
JamesS Posted: Fri, Mar 17 2006 2:01 PM
Hi,

Have a SBS2K3 SP1 site with all XP Pro clients.

Document redirection works great, but one of the users wants this switched off for just his logon (to multiple PC's).

Is there a KB article that explains how to do this please?

TIA

James
  • | Post Points: 21
Top 10 Contributor
Points 84,751

James, do you mean turn of document re-direction for one user no matter where he logs in, or just on one PC?  If it is the former, then go to Server Manager, click the User link, find the user on the list, click on them and there is a button on the left that controls My Document redirection.  If this does not make sense, have a look at the picture below.

I hope this help

ttfn

David

Top 25 Contributor
Points 214
JamesS replied on Fri, Mar 17 2006 2:35 PM
Thanks David,

That's great, I'll use that.

Yes, you understood correctly - just turn off for one user, no matter where he logs in.

I did look at this (selected the one user, then chose Configure My Documents Redirection as you've suggested here) but was put off by the wording "...for all users..." and "Redirect all My Documents folder to the default shared folders for users on the Small Business Server" - thought this might have meant it was still a global setting, even though a single user had been selected.

Guess I should have been braver!!

Much appreciated. Thank you for your help.

Cheers,

James
Top 10 Contributor
Points 84,751

James,

you might be right - I will have to check this out now.  If that is the case, it can be done by a quick change to the group policy - I will let you know soon when I get to a SBS box to find out.

thanks

David

Top 25 Contributor
Points 214
JamesS replied on Fri, Mar 17 2006 3:02 PM
David,

Thanks. No bother, I will try now and report back.

James
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Points 214
JamesS replied on Fri, Mar 17 2006 3:29 PM
It appears to be a global setting, or at least that's how it seems to work on our SBS network.

With My Docs redirection activated on the SBS, if I then select a single user and choose to *not* redirect My Docs, it appears to switch of My docs redirection for *all* users.

Thanks, James
Top 10 Contributor
Points 84,751

James,

This is not a "global" setting, but a group policy (GP) setting.  GP works at the Organisational Unit (OU) level, so you can create a new organisational level under the location where SBS places it used, block the GP's that are normally applied, and then link in the GPs except for folder redirection.  You then move the one user to that OU and it should work find.

Below is a picture showing what I did.  This ties in with the request last night about how GP can be applied to small business.

Top 25 Contributor
Points 214
JamesS replied on Fri, Mar 17 2006 5:48 PM
Thanks David,

That worked well. If I log on with a user who is in the 'no my docs redirect' OU I still get a Sync box appear at log off, but their My Docs are *not* synchorised. Logging on/off with a user in the SBSUsers OU results in a sync of that users My Docs folder to the server.

I set up as orig posted, before your amendments - to remove the GPO's 1 & 3 from the new 'no my docs redirect' OU can I just right click and delete them (from within the 'no my docs redirect' OU)? - Will this delete just the linkage or will it delete the GPO entirely?

Similarly, could I delete the entire 'no my docs redirect' OU and start again, or will this delete the GPO's?

Many thanks

James
Top 10 Contributor
Points 84,751

James,

the GP objects are just linked to this location, so deleting are them is fine (that is what I did). If you want to delete the OU you can, but make sure you move the user back to somewhere else 1st :-)

I'm glad it appears to be working in the main

ttfn

David

Top 25 Contributor
Points 214
JamesS replied on Fri, Mar 17 2006 6:05 PM
Thank you David

Works a treat.

(and I appreciate you not telling me to 'go read up on AD if you dont know that!' - woldn't have felt bad if you had... and I will).

I very much appreciate your help.

Cheers,

James
Paulie replied on Fri, Mar 17 2006 9:26 PM

David,

In response to your other post and this one I think group policy training or an in-depth overview would make for a fantastic training session.  Though there are lot of great webcasts on it I think a lot of people could learn a great deal out of an in-person session, maybe even a hands on session.

This is great stuff!

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS

(c)David Overton 2006-23