DavidOverton.com
This site is my way to share my views and general business and IT information with you about Microsoft, IT solutions for ISVs, technologists and businesses, large and small.  

Far too much this time

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Points 969
tezfair Posted: Fri, Jan 19 2007 9:40 PM

Well, it came today, and after running an upgrade for 2 hrs on a dual core laptop - nightmare.

My initial thought is how the bloody hell do we even start to support this? Far too many icons, messages all the time asking if <whatever> is what I want to do, and the best part, I have not been able to get my pop mail from outlook 2003 because the firewall client 2000 isn't compatible, but the damn thing refuses to uninstall it so I can't use the 2004 version.

Document and settings now appear to be 'users', so straight away im not selling an upgrade to my clients because the logon scripts will no longer work, roaming profiles take 4 times longer to update, and whats with the transparent icons? buggered if I can see the recycle bin. Only know its there because of the words below it. For reasons I have yet to work out, my domain account 'terry' now appears as a shortcut on the desktop rather than 'my documents'. Great - but it also shows system files which were previously tucked away. So now instead of going to my documents, I get 38 system files plus 'my documents'.

I hope that OEM vista comes with downgrade rights because I can't see myself rolling this out for a very long time - if at all. Arnie was right..... HASTA la vista baby

• | Post Points: 21
Top 150 Contributor
Points 21
Dave A replied on Mon, Jan 22 2007 7:52 PM

I know just how you feel, and I have not even got it installed yet....

My Vista turned up today in the action pack update, spoke to her who must be obayed at lunchtime, and she told me an MS package had arrived, got home from work looking forward to installing, and I remembered from previous experience using the Beta/RC to get the drivers ready first, now the distressing part......

My PC spec is great for Vista, Dual Core AMD, lots of mem, and then to top it off an nVidia 8800 GTS graphics Card, Vista Certified and the first DX10 card available(along with it's big brother the 8800GTX), but can I find a Vista driver for it?

Gutted is an understatement, £350 of cutting edge DX10 card, supporting more memory then most user workstations will have (640mb) and nothing......

The only way to get it too run anywhere near properly, is to get a leaked beta driver for it, but I am not willing to go down that route, I want to have a supported Beta, that I can send feedback to nVidia on, and have something that I know will be remotely stable..

Oh well.....

• | Post Points: 21
Top 10 Contributor
Points 969
tezfair replied on Wed, Jan 24 2007 2:48 PM

For a product about to go to worldwide launch, im surprised to find that I have to download Beta 3 of the new active sync to allow my smartphone to update.

Still not got any drivers for my 3 printers, and trying to change any still crashes the windows shell.

Cannot stand the new fonts - Segoe. On my laptop they are distorted or appear faded. Slowly having to work though the windows settings to change the font. Can't delete the damn things.

I do like the rolodex feature, used it once the other day. doubt if I will use it again. Much easier to click on the taskbar than pressing WinKey / Tab over and over again.

I still feel thats its Windows ME all over again though 

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS

(c)David Overton 2006-23