DavidOverton.com
This site is my way to share my views and general business and IT information with you about Microsoft, IT solutions for ISVs, technologists and businesses, large and small.  

Block email address in Exchange

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Points 152
jefton5 Posted: Wed, Mar 5 2008 5:20 PM

Hi

I am trying to block an email address from being able to send to one of my users. The user in dispute is sending 'personal' emails to this particular address.

I would like to block emails coming from that address. How can I do this?

I've tried setting up Sender Filtering but it is not working for some reason. Anyone have any ideas??

Thanks in advance

• | Post Points: 37
Top 10 Contributor
Points 84,751

Have you tried the information available at http://www.petri.co.il/block_spam_with_exchange_2003.htm

thanks

David

• | Post Points: 21
Top 25 Contributor
Points 152
jefton5 replied on Fri, Mar 7 2008 9:43 AM

Hi David

Thanks very much for your response. It is very helpful. The thing is that the two email addresses I want to block is not really spam. I just want to block these two email addresses. I do not actually want to enable IMF because in general we don't have a problem with spam. The other issue is that it will be my first time working with IMF. However, I'll try it now and see how it works. Again, thanks a MILL!!!

Any other ideas is also welcome.

Top 25 Contributor
Points 140
Maxibo replied on Fri, Mar 7 2008 3:07 PM

It works ok here..

Which version of exchange and sp ?Have you done similar steps to here ?

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF014.html

Top 25 Contributor
Points 152
jefton5 replied on Fri, Mar 7 2008 3:28 PM

Hi Maxibo

Thanks for the reply.

##Which version of exchange and sp ?##

I use Exchange 2003 SP2. I think the message filtering in Exchange 2003 is s bit different.

##Have you done similar steps to here ?##

Yes - I did set up the Sender Filtering in Exchange 2003 but the email still came through. That is why I am still looking for a solution. Do you know how to do this in Exchange 2003???

Thanks mate

Top 25 Contributor
Points 140
Maxibo replied on Fri, Mar 7 2008 5:07 PM

Hi Jefton5

How about this:-
http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Sender-Recipient-Filtering.html

Have you stopped and started the virtual server ? Possibly need to restart other exchange services...

Let us know how you get on

• | Post Points: 36
Top 25 Contributor
Points 152
jefton5 replied on Fri, Mar 7 2008 5:23 PM

Hi Maxibo

Thanks for the ink mate. It looks good. I won't be able to do it today still but I'll definitely have a proper look at it over the weekend and try it on Monday first thing.

And no, I did not stop and start the Virtual Server. Propbably should have thought of that. However, I'll try again and see where we are.

Again, thanks a mill.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Points 152
jefton5 replied on Fri, Mar 7 2008 5:23 PM

Hi Maxibo

Thanks for the link mate. It looks good. I won't be able to do it today still but I'll definitely have a proper look at it over the weekend and try it on Monday first thing.

And no, I did not stop and start the Virtual Server. Propbably should have thought of that. However, I'll try again and see where we are.

Again, thanks a mill.

Top 25 Contributor
Points 140
Maxibo replied on Fri, Mar 7 2008 5:29 PM
No problem, however, are you saying you are an IT guy that doesn't work the weekend, whats wrong with remoting in and testing...lol...he he Have a great weekend
Top 25 Contributor
Points 152
jefton5 replied on Tue, Mar 11 2008 9:51 AM

Hi Maxibo

Sorry for the late reply mate. I was out of the office almost all day yesterday. Anyway, I'm checking this out today and will post back on the results.

PS. I do work weekends, depending on how many beers I've got in the fridge. One beer in the fridge = lots of work getting done. Lots of beer in the fridge = well, we don't speak about it...

Cheers

Top 10 Contributor
Points 969
tezfair replied on Fri, Mar 14 2008 3:07 PM

Unless I missed in in an earlier post, the content filtering is 2 parts. you may have already added the email address(s), but you have to tell the SMTP Virtual Server to check.

In exchange / servers / protocols / smtp / right click 'default' then properties / general tab /  advanced button / edit. Make sure that the filters are ticked. I don't think mine were by default, but ticking them does make it work.

Tez 

Top 25 Contributor
Points 152
jefton5 replied on Fri, Mar 14 2008 3:36 PM

Hi tezfair

Thanks for the advice mate. I'll have a look at this in a bit. I'll try again and then I'll test it.

Can anyone recommend a good security package for my server? AV etc?

Thanks

Top 10 Contributor
Points 84,751

Forefront :-)

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS

(c)David Overton 2006-23