DavidOverton.com
This site is my way to share my views and general business and IT information with you about Microsoft, IT solutions for ISVs, technologists and businesses, large and small.  

Office 07 duplicating files and using ~$ in file name

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Points 42
Sarah B Posted: Thu, Feb 26 2009 9:00 PM

Hi David,

About 1 month ago I installed Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007 and everything was working fine. Since yesterday I notice  that everytime I open a file (in Word, Excel & Powerpoint) a duplicate file is created with the same file name, except the first two letters in the file name are replaced by "~$". (for example, "Resume" doc is duplicated as "~$sume").

I tried to open the duplicate file, and get a message "The Office Open XML file ~$ume cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents." I click for more details and it says "The file is courrupt and connot be opened".

What is causing this, and how can I fix it?

Thank you for your help.

-Sara

• | Post Points: 21
Top 10 Contributor
Points 84,751

This file should be created when the file you want is open.  When you save or close the document it should remove the file.

Does this happen?

thanks

David

Top 75 Contributor
Points 42
Sarah B replied on Sun, Mar 1 2009 8:19 PM

Hello David,

The files with ~$ are removed when I close the documents in Word and Excel. However, they still show up with Powerpoint files (at least one powerpoint presentation that I saved onto a flash drive). Maybe this is just a fluke. If it keeps happening, do I have a problem?

I was originally concerned that I might have a virus, but from your reply I'm now assuming it's just a harmless backup file created when I'm working on a file..

Thank you for your help. I find a lot of useful information on this blog!

-Sara

Top 10 Contributor
Points 84,751

No worries.  the one that got left behind might have been because the USB key got pulled before Powerpoint cleaned up.

Thanks

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS

(c)David Overton 2006-23