DavidOverton.com
This site is my way to share my views and general business and IT information with you about Microsoft, IT solutions for ISVs, technologists and businesses, large and small.  

Backup Failiure

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 25 Contributor
Points 152
Jules Wilko Posted: Mon, Apr 3 2006 11:40 AM

Heya there guys,

Got this interesting backup fail message on a server the other night, and I can't see a particular reason why it has failed... Unless it is either down to a fail of the user account or the media... Or is it Exchange thats failing...

The SBS Backup log, and related event logs are below...

Any thoughts? I've had a google around and it seems to be similar to a pre-SP1 error... However the server is SP1'd (2K3 and SBS) - The media is new and I haven't seen any errors with the Exchange management reports...

I doubt there is a media error by the way, as previous backups have worked fine, and the drive scans through okay...

My guess is to perhaps run an offline defrag through Exchange perhaps?

Anyone else have any input?

Cheers

Jules W.

31/03/2006 22:00
-------------------------------
Date: 31/03/2006
Time: 22:00
User: SYSTEM

Backup Runner started.
Launching NTBackup: ntbackup.exe backup "@C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows Small Business Server\Backup\Small Business Backup Script.bks" /d "SBS Backup created on 31/03/2006 at 22:00" /v:yes /r:no /rs:no /hc:off /m normal /j "Small Business Server Backup Job" /l:s /f "\\cwcbackup3\CWC Backup\My Backup\CWC Backup\Backup Files\Small Business Server Backup (04).bkf" /UM
NTBACKUP LOG FILE: C:\Documents and Settings\SBS Backup User\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\NTBackup\data\backup01.log
=====================<BEGIN NTBACKUP LOG FILE>=====================
Backup Status
Operation: Backup
Active backup destination: File
Media name: "Small Business Server Backup (04).bkf created 31/03/2006 at 22:00"

Volume shadow copy creation: Attempt 1.
Backup (via shadow copy) of "C: "
Backup set #1 on media #1
Backup description: "SBS Backup created on 31/03/2006 at 22:00"
Media name: "Small Business Server Backup (04).bkf created 31/03/2006 at 22:00"

Backup Type: Normal

Backup started on 31/03/2006 at 22:04.

Error: The device reported an error on a request to write data to media.
Error reported: Invalid command.
There may be a hardware or media problem.
Please check the system event log for relevant failures.
The operation was ended.
Backup completed on 31/03/2006 at 23:13.
Directories: 3022
Files: 19945
Bytes: 13,599,279,120
Time:  1 hour,  9 minutes, and  23 seconds

Error: C: is not a valid drive, or you do not have access.

Error: An inconsistency was encountered in the requested backup file.

Error: CWCSERVER\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group is not a valid drive, or you do not have access.

Error: An inconsistency was encountered in the requested backup file.

----------------------

The operation did not successfully complete.

----------------------

Event logs :

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Userenv
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1517
Date:  31/03/2006
Time:  23:13:44
User:  NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: CWCSERVER
Description:
Windows saved user CROOKESWALKER\SBS Backup User registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Userenv
Event ID: 1524
Time:  23:13:44
User:  CROOKESWALKER\SBS Backup User
Description:
Windows cannot unload your classes registry file - it is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded when it is no longer in use. 

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: NTBackup
Event ID: 8017
Time:  23:13:42
User:  N/A
Description:
NTBackup error: 'An inconsistency was encountered in the requested backup file.'

• | Post Points: 21
Good evening Jules,

Just my 2c, --->

When were the SP installed? - if recently then I have seen this problem before and it is probably due to the SP overwriting the storage driver used for the backup device - you should be able to reinstall the driver again and the problem will go away.

If this is not the solution, then I would look for an updated driver for the hardware, and try this

Finally, I doubt that the Exchange is the problem, though to rule this out, do a test back up without the store, and then another with only the store - at least this will narrow down the problem.

HTH

Regards

Andrew
Top 10 Contributor
Points 84,751

Jules,

is this the complete total of the backup logs?  There is normally an error code in the backup logs that you can then look up against the information at the SBS site.

As an example, I had a recent failure (that I need to investigate) and the logs contained this info:

04/04/2006 23:00
Date: 04/04/2006
Time: 23:00

Backup Runner started.
Launching NTBackup: ntbackup.exe backup "@C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows Small Business Server\Backup\Small Business Backup Script.bks" /d "SBS Backup created on 04/04/2006 at 23:00" /v:yes /r:no /rs:no /hc:off /m normal /j "Small Business Server Backup Job" /l:s /f "D:\backup\Backup Files\Small Business Server Backup (02).bkf" /UM
NTBACKUP LOG FILE: C:\Documents and Settings\SBS Backup User\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\NTBackup\data\backup07.log
Backup Status
Media name: "Small Business Server Backup (02).bkf created 04/04/2006 at 23:00"

"Registry Writer" has reported an error 0x800423f4. This is part of System State. The backup cannot continue.

Error returned while creating the volume shadow copy:800423f4
Aborting Backup.

At the end of the log is the message:

For more information about failed backups, see the article on troubleshooting your backup at the following Web page: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=18414

following the link gives some diagnostic process.  ALways worth a try :-)

ttfn

David

Top 25 Contributor
Points 152

Heya there David,

It wasn't the full "copy and paste"

I will give you a copy and paste from the current issues.

But I've just been talking about this at the group tonight, I'm finding that fairly simulatenously the SBS built in backups have gone to the dogs... And all hanging on the Exchange backup for the Information Store.

Its really really really annoying - and embarrassing!

20/04/2006 23:00
Date: 20/04/2006
Time: 23:00

Backup Runner started.
Launching NTBackup: ntbackup.exe backup "@C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows Small Business Server\Backup\Small Business Backup Script.bks" /d "SBS Backup created on 20/04/2006 at 23:00" /v:yes /r:no /rs:no /hc:off /m normal /j "Small Business Server Backup Job" /l:s /f "E:\CWC Backups\Backup Files\Small Business Server Backup (01).bkf" /UM
NTBACKUP LOG FILE: C:\Documents and Settings\SBS Backup User\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\NTBackup\data\backup08.log
Backup Status
Media name: "Small Business Server Backup (01).bkf created 20/04/2006 at 23:00"

Backup (via shadow copy) of "C: "
Backup set #1 on media #1
Backup description: "SBS Backup created on 20/04/2006 at 23:00"

Backup started on 20/04/2006 at 23:05.
Backup completed on 21/04/2006 at 00:59.
Directories: 7179
Files: 70147
Bytes: 44,740,613,981
Time:  1 hour,  53 minutes, and  34 seconds
Backup of "CWCSERVER\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group"
Backup set #2 on media #1
Backup description: "SBS Backup created on 20/04/2006 at 23:00"

Backup started on 21/04/2006 at 00:59.

Error: The device reported an error on a request to write data to media.
Error reported: Unknown error.
There may be a hardware or media problem.
Please check the system event log for relevant failures.
The operation was ended.
Backup completed on 21/04/2006 at 01:02.
Directories: 0
Files: 1
Bytes: 1,271,789,340
Time:  2 minutes and  44 seconds

Error: CWCSERVER\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group is not a valid drive, or you do not have access.

----------------------

The operation did not successfully complete.

----------------------

=======================<END NTBACKUP LOG FILE>=====================
NTBackup finished the backup with errors.

For more information about failed backups, see the article on troubleshooting your backup at the following Web page: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=18414

Backup ended at 21 April 2006 01:03
Backup Runner finished.

Virtually idential errors day after day, where just last week they were working fine.... then they go again!

Very irritating, and I cant seem to find much in terms or rhyme or reason on any of the other servers either (unless its come down with a server update...!)

However, this concerns me :

Event Type: Information
Event Source: ESE
Event Category: Logging/Recovery
Event ID: 222
Date:  21/04/2006
Time:  01:02:11
Description:
Information Store (2620) First Storage Group: Ending the backup of the file C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\mdbdata\priv1.edb. Not all data in the file has been read (read 1272053760 bytes out of 6650146816 bytes).

For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp.

And yet...

Event Type: Information
Event Source: ESE
Event Category: Logging/Recovery
Event ID: 213
Date:  21/04/2006
Time:  01:02:13
Description:
Information Store (2620) First Storage Group: The backup procedure has been successfully completed.

For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp.

...Anything else I should look for??...

Jules

Top 10 Contributor
Points 84,751

Jules,

do you have any 612 errors in the event log too?  I would suspect an Exchange problem - why not have a look at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318429/en-us and see if it helps - work on backups etc as the "cleaning" tool just drops pages with errors in it.

You might have a corrupt store - worth checking.

ttfn

David

Top 25 Contributor
Points 152

Heya there Dave,

Still pulling hair out, but I've come across a different error this weekend that sparks a memory as something to do with the storage pool... I need to go have a google about and find the page that mentioned it...

But I have run Isinteg and eseutil for a defrag and check to no better results either (and boy, was that slightly worrying running that on an Exchange server you couldn't back up!)

Will let you know if I find that page and if that works!

Jules

Top 10 Contributor
Points 84,751

Jules,

remember that you can always shutdown exchange and then do a backup of the key files.

ttfn

David

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Points 84,751

Jules,

also, perhaps this is the right time to call MS Support and pay the fee rather than spending all your time?

thanks

David

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS

(c)David Overton 2006-23