DavidOverton.com
This site is my way to share my views and general business and IT information with you about Microsoft, IT solutions for ISVs, technologists and businesses, large and small.  

Remote Web Access 403.6 Error

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Spectra Posted: Sun, Sep 16 2007 9:31 AM

Hi

I have recently taken over a server, this was set up by a guy who says he is a qualified Microsoft Engineer, but next he tells me that he has never got remote access to work on any server he has set up, so it doesn't give me much faith. Anyway, I am having problems with remote web access, if I just enter the IP address from the internet I get a 403.6 error, if I enter the IP/evchange the web outlook works ok.  I don't seem to be able to VPN either.  All works okay from the network side, its only remote access which does this

I don't have any barred ip addresses on companyweb, I have run the wizard a few times and checked the settings.

Any help is very appreciated as I am not sure what else to look for.

Thanks

Richard

• | Post Points: 21
Top 10 Contributor
Points 969
tezfair replied on Sun, Sep 16 2007 5:39 PM

When I set up a server I run ICW and at the web certificate section I add the static IP address rather than a domain. Let me know if it worked for you.

Terry 

Spectra replied on Sun, Sep 16 2007 6:08 PM

Hi

Thanks for the response, unfortunatley I already have the IP rather than a domain for the certificate - I guess the certificate must work as I can get into web outlook (which works fine).

Thanks

Richard

Top 10 Contributor
Points 969
tezfair replied on Sun, Sep 16 2007 11:47 PM

Is this std or premium?

does this happen on all accounts (or users)?

whats your router?

who is your ISP? 

single or dual NIC?

im leaning to a port block rather than permissions. I have a feeling its on the outside of the Wan Nic - but let me know your answers first

Tez 

Spectra replied on Mon, Sep 17 2007 9:45 AM

Hi

Std R2

You don't get the initial log in page appear if you enter the ip address, just the error, so all users

The router is a generic cheap and cheerfull non branded thing, and I have set port forwarding on all the ports listed in the SBS help

Our ISP is F9.co.uk, we have a professional package with static ip

single NIC

Thanks

Richard

Top 10 Contributor
Points 969
tezfair replied on Mon, Sep 17 2007 10:19 AM

Can you confirm port 4125 is also fwded?

What would happen if you were to set the router to DMZ to your NIC - does it still fail? (change it back to port fwding if needed)

Are there any IIS restrictions? 

Spectra replied on Mon, Sep 17 2007 10:37 AM

Hi

I am not sure if it is (as I cannot remotely access the network Smile) however, I am on another SBS network now, and we dont have 4125 forwarded - what is it for?

I will try the DMZ, but it will be a few days as I have to drive to site.

To the best of my knowledge there are no IIS restrictions (certainly no barred IP addresses)

Thanks

Richard

Top 10 Contributor
Points 969
tezfair replied on Mon, Sep 17 2007 10:58 AM

port 4125 is the RWW / Remote Desktop port.

DMZ opens all the ports and is a way of determining if the router is blocking access

Top 10 Contributor
Points 84,751

Hi,

some thoughts here:

Problems could be:

1. RWW site was not installed / enabled / has been deleted or disabled
  2. Network fault

On this basis we need to check out the two options

1. I would re-run the Connect to Internet Wizard - if it fails, deal with the failures 1st, then re-run
  2. I would go into IIS and make sure that the default site has the RWW contents in it
  3. I would try hitting the browse button inside the IIS mmc control on the default site / remote folder - it should come up if it is there
  4. I would check what happens if I got to https://localhost/remote from the console as this should bypass any IP address filtering and since you can only have 1 web site on port 443, if RWW was installed and https://localhost/exchange works and /remote does not, then RWW is not installed or has been removed
  5. I would also check the IP blocks in the RRAS mmc - inbound and outbound filters, but I do not expect this to be the problem.

thanks

David

Spectra replied on Mon, Sep 17 2007 12:55 PM

Hi

If I enter the IP addres/remote then it works.............

However, in my defence (I am sure I am not that stupidEmbarrassed)  if I just use the IP address to connect remotely to the network I am on now then it works.

Thanks for your help.

Richard

• | Post Points: 5
Spectra replied on Mon, Sep 17 2007 1:05 PM

Hi

I forgot to ask, the company name which appears on the login page, where is it set??  only the guy who did the initial setup spelled the company name wrong....and I cannot find out how to change it (I would search, but I am not even sure what it is called)

Thanks again for all your help guys.

Richard

Spectra replied on Mon, Sep 17 2007 3:48 PM

Hi

I had tried the MS knowledge base which doesn't cover this - I have got it sorted now.

Thanks again for all your help

Richard

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS

(c)David Overton 2006-23