DavidOverton.com
This site is my way to share my views and general business and IT information with you about Microsoft, IT solutions for ISVs, technologists and businesses, large and small.  

Assistance with Vista, XP and Office 2007

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 50 Contributor
Points 62
Rusty Posted: Thu, May 15 2008 4:13 PM

Hi, 

I own a Dell which came with XP Pro.  I upgraded to Vista. I bought Office 2007 and installed it onm Vista. Eventually, I bought another XP Pro license and setup my machine to dual boot. 

In XP, however, none of the Office apps work saying simply ...  

"The operating system is not presently configured to run this application."

Any thoughts ?

Regards,

Russ

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Points 62
Rusty replied on Thu, May 15 2008 4:18 PM

BTW, all apps still work fine on Vista, just not on XP.

Russ 

Top 50 Contributor
Points 62
Rusty replied on Thu, May 15 2008 7:52 PM

I suspected that I could not run Office 2007 from C: and needed to reinstall it so went ahead and tried to install it on G: (where XP is installed).  Turns out I get an error simply stating that Office 2007 encountered an error in the setup (this after providing my key).  I can now only imagine that Office 2007 does not like another version of Office installed on the same PC.  Problem is, I should have the legal right to run Office 2007 on my PC regardless of whether I boot into Vista or XP as all three prodcuts are perfectly legi and only one instance of the sodtware is running at any given time. 

Is there a way to run Office 2007 on both operating systems?  Rigth now it only works in Vista. 

Is this somehting I need to bring to the attention of Microsoft?  I can't be the only person in the world wanting to do this, can I?   

Russ

• | Post Points: 21
Top 10 Contributor
Points 84,751

Hi Russ,

Providing that your Vista and XP installs are on different partitions then you should be able to install Office 2007 on the PC in both OSs (providing you install Office to the same partition as the OS in each case).

What error are you seeing?

ttfn

David

Top 50 Contributor
Points 62
Rusty replied on Thu, May 22 2008 3:09 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I shrunk my Vista volume and created a new partition with the space, the installed XP on this new partition.  Wehn i install Office 2007, it simply states that... "The operating system is not presently configured to run this application."  No errors whatsoever.

Russ

Top 10 Contributor
Points 84,751

Russ,

Just to confirm, you installed Office from the CD in Vista and it works, then you went to your XP partition and installed it again from the CD?  Did the install work?  Have you applied the service packs to XP and Office?

Once you have confirmed the above I'll get you to check your Event Viewer for errors

Thanks

David

Top 50 Contributor
Points 62
Rusty replied on Fri, May 23 2008 4:50 PM

Hi David,

XP is completely updated and includes SP3.  Office (Ultimate 2007) is being installed from CD.

I boot into XP the insert the Office CD which requests the product key.  I enter the key, click okay, accept the software license terms and it starts installing (The installaiton progress window). Then the message "Microsoft Office Ultimate 2007 encountered an error during setup" appears about 30 seconds into the installaion.

My Event Viewer indicates Event ID 1014, Windows Installer Proxy info not correctly registered and Event ID 1015, Failed to cnnect to Server. (0x80004005)

I hope that this helps.

Russ 

Top 50 Contributor
Points 62
Rusty replied on Mon, Jun 1 2009 10:29 PM

Any thoughts?  Anybody?  It's been over a year  and I still have this issue.  Every few months I spend a few hours trying to figure this out but end up nowhere.

Russ

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS

(c)David Overton 2006-23