DavidOverton.com
This site is my way to share my views and general business and IT information with you about Microsoft, IT solutions for ISVs, technologists and businesses, large and small.  

POP3 Connection Manager - How to Delete and Re create

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 2 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Points 42
nickgeorge Posted: Tue, Jun 17 2008 9:29 AM

Hi,

It seems the POP3 Connection Manager on an SBS 2003 server has become currupt or at least is misbehaving and and not picking up emails from the various POP3 accounts.

I would like to delete it and recreate it.  I have already deleted and re created the individual POP accounts but would like to re create the whole connection manager.  I am sure I did this years ago but sorry do not remember how and obviouly did not document it!

Many thanks.

Nick George

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 21
Top 10 Contributor
Points 84,751

This comes 110% without warranties and PLEASE take a backup before you do this, however, try this:

1.     Rename the POP folder to POP.old in the following location:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows Small Business Server\Networking

2. Using regedit, locate the "POP3 Connector" key in

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SmallBusinessServer\Network and export the "POP3 Connector" key to the desktop. Delete the "POP3 Connector" key and close the registry.

3.  In Windows Explorer, show hidden and system files by going to "Tools", "Folder

Options" and "Views", and unhide the hidden files, as well as the system files.

4.  search for and delete all SITxxxxx.tmp folders, you may use SIT*tmp as a wildcard.

5.  Manually execute the POP3.MSI file from SBS 2003 CD #3, in D:\SBS\POP3.  This should show the "Preparing to install" and then some actual install progress going on.

6.  Launch a new instance of Exchange System Manager, and confirm that the "POP3 Connector Manager" is present in the Connectors section.

7.  Try viewing the properties of the POP3 Connector Manager. If you cannot, you may receive an error similar to "The POP3 Connection Manager is only available after you install Exchange". This may be present, even if Exchange is installed.

OR

It would disappear immediately.

Please follow the folowing steps to resolve the issue:

Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Select "Windows Small Business Server 2003" and select Change/Remove. This will enter into the Integrated Setup and the Component Selection screen. Select Networking "reinstall".  If this too does not help then reinstall Exchange Server in Integrated Mode.

I hope this helps - if it fails, restore from the backup and log a call with Microsoft support to help diagnose and resolve your SBS issue.

Thanks

David

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS

(c)David Overton 2006-23