DavidOverton.com
This site is my way to share my views and general business and IT information with you about Microsoft, IT solutions for ISVs, technologists and businesses, large and small.  

Help with SBS 2008 Backups

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Points 47
millerc posted on Wed, Apr 22 2009 1:01 PM

Hi,

I have a new install of SBS 2008 standard and it works great and meets all my needs.  The type of work I do means that any data I store must be encrypted.  I configured Bitlocker on all the data drives on the server which works great and encrypts all my data.  I configured the sbs backup wizard and I'm using 2 USB externally attached hard disks.  The backup works great but I would like to know if the backup data on the external drives is encrypted.  If it is not then how can I backup my data in a encrypted way.  I have to store all my data encrypted irrespective of it's location.  A consultant I spoke to (and who charged me a fortune) recently advised that the backup data is encrypted but I am not convinced.

I'd be really grateful for some advice on this.

Thanks,

Chris

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 10 Contributor
Points 84,751
Verified by millerc

Hi Chris,

I've walked through all the steps in http://uksbsguy.com/blogs/doverton/archive/2009/04/26/how-to-encrypt-backups-and-optionally-the-system-disks-on-windows-server-2008-and-sbs-2008.aspx, but formatting the drive should not remove the BitLocker.  Fire up the Bitlocker status in control panel or use the cscript manage-bde.wsf -status command to verify.

Thanks

David

• | Post Points: 41

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Points 84,751

Hi,

the short answer is that the backups are not encrypted, however you can encrypt using the information here:

http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/archive/2008/04/29/complete-pc-backup-vista-and-vista-sp1-windows-server-backup-longhorn-server-and-bitlocker-faq.aspx

Thanks

David

• | Post Points: 21
Top 50 Contributor
Points 47

Hi,

Thanks for that, that's great.

I've read that article but can't see how I can encrypt the backup drives.  I've configured BitLocker on the two external hard disks but when I run the backup wizard in SBS 2008 it recognises the drives but then formats them, hence removing the BitLocker encryption.  Have you got any ideas what I am doing wrong ?

Thanks,

Chris

• | Post Points: 21
Top 10 Contributor
Points 84,751
Verified by millerc

Hi Chris,

I've walked through all the steps in http://uksbsguy.com/blogs/doverton/archive/2009/04/26/how-to-encrypt-backups-and-optionally-the-system-disks-on-windows-server-2008-and-sbs-2008.aspx, but formatting the drive should not remove the BitLocker.  Fire up the Bitlocker status in control panel or use the cscript manage-bde.wsf -status command to verify.

Thanks

David

• | Post Points: 41
Top 50 Contributor
Points 47
millerc replied on Wed, May 13 2009 10:24 AM

Hi David,

That's brilliant.  Just what I have been looking for.

I was stupidly simply doing it in the wrong order.  I was attaching the drvies to a drive letter and then encrypting with BitLocker.  Then I was trying to configure the Backups using the wizard and that is why it was formatting it and removing the encryption and the drive letters.  To encrypt the drives correctly I just configured the backups first and then gave the drives a drive letter each and then encrypted them with BitLocker.  I then removed the drive letter from each and now the drives appear configured correctly in the backup wizard whilst remaining encrypted.  Brilliant.

Thank you so much for your help.  Your article was perfect.

Regards,

Chris

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS

(c)David Overton 2006-23