DavidOverton.com
This site is my way to share my views and general business and IT information with you about Microsoft, IT solutions for ISVs, technologists and businesses, large and small.  

SBS Exchange issue

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 11 Replies | 3 Followers

Matt Beardon posted on Sat, Dec 19 2009 1:15 PM

Hi

I'm migrating a sbs 2003 server to 2008 this week, everything reported it installed correctly however

When I go to migrate the exchange accounts I get the following:

MapiExceptionNetworkError: Unable to make admin interface connection to server (hr=0x80040115, ec=-2147221227)

It appears when I look at the old server the Exchange Administrative group for exchange 2007 is missing?  I cannot see the new server listed in the old first administractive group either?  And the site connector is missing.  The rest of the active directory appears to be ok.  (and the public folders are sync'd)  And I can move the offline address book ok.

Would you recommend uninstalling exchange 2007 and then reinstalling?  Or is there another workaround?

regards

Matt

• | Post Points: 21

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 10 Contributor
Points 84,751
Verified by David Overton

OK, so on the SBS 2003 server you should have completed these steps, confirm that you did:

1. Checked the AD on SBS 2003 (run the SBS 2003 BPA tool to see if it shows any errors)
  2. Ensured the SBS 2003 system only has 1 NIC in it and that the network is correctly configured to use this
  3. Applied the downloads to SBS 2003 from Windows update
  4. Ensured SBS is at least at SP1 (this is different to Windows being at SP1 - Windows needs to be SP2 at a minimum)
  5. Ensured Exchange SP2 is installed on SBS 2003
  6. Checked that MS Core XML services are up to date
  7. Ensure .Net Framework 2.0 is installed
  8. Ensuring the time is in sync
  9. Checked the admin user you are using has the right permissions
  10. You can manually run ADPREP /domainprep & adprep /ForestPrep from D:\tools\adprep

I would check everything above again.  Details on all of these are in my book - do you have this.

Also, when you installed SBS 2008 with the answer file to do the migration, did you get any errors once the install had completed?

Thanks

David

All Replies

After further investigation, public folders are not replicating. 

The issue appears to be that the Active Directory replication has stopped.  I'm getting errors 8514 which relates to the schema which was updated using the sbs tools.  I've tried re-running the adprep tool but get a message 0x57 already prepared.

• | Post Points: 37
Top 10 Contributor
Points 84,751

As a quick re-cap, have you prepared the domain AND forest and has the functionality level been raised to 2003?

thanks

David

Yes both levels were set to 2003.  I get a schema mismatch error in sites & services if I try to replicate. 

Is there a way to force the replication of the schema from the new 2008 server to the old 2003?  

Top 10 Contributor
Points 84,751
Verified by David Overton

OK, so on the SBS 2003 server you should have completed these steps, confirm that you did:

1. Checked the AD on SBS 2003 (run the SBS 2003 BPA tool to see if it shows any errors)
  2. Ensured the SBS 2003 system only has 1 NIC in it and that the network is correctly configured to use this
  3. Applied the downloads to SBS 2003 from Windows update
  4. Ensured SBS is at least at SP1 (this is different to Windows being at SP1 - Windows needs to be SP2 at a minimum)
  5. Ensured Exchange SP2 is installed on SBS 2003
  6. Checked that MS Core XML services are up to date
  7. Ensure .Net Framework 2.0 is installed
  8. Ensuring the time is in sync
  9. Checked the admin user you are using has the right permissions
  10. You can manually run ADPREP /domainprep & adprep /ForestPrep from D:\tools\adprep

I would check everything above again.  Details on all of these are in my book - do you have this.

Also, when you installed SBS 2008 with the answer file to do the migration, did you get any errors once the install had completed?

Thanks

David

HI David

In order to rerun the adpreps I had to grab the fmso roles ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255504)

Once I had done this the adprep reported I had already run the tool and then replication started

I was getting event id 1061 in the directory services with error values of 8418 at the destiination server and 8514 at the source.

I will have to move the fsmo roles again afterwards but another one to chalk up to experience.

(I have your book and its certainly better than the microsoft's manual for this process)

Hope this helps others.

Matt

Top 10 Contributor
Points 84,751

Matt,

I'm glad you got there in the end.  When you remove the SBS 2003 box by dcpromo'ing it to demote it the FSMOs will move back, however I would personally recommend moving them anyway.

Thanks

David

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Points 84,751

Oh, one other favour - could you pop a review of the book onto the Amazon site for me?  Every little helps.

Thanks

David

No Problem - did you spot any thing in the fax issue I posted last week?

Top 50 Contributor
Points 31
allan replied on Tue, Jan 12 2010 7:53 AM

Yeh iam agree with u i am new on this forum , you said right that The issue appears to be that the Active Directory replication has stopped.  I'm getting errors 8514 which relates to the schema which was updated using the sbs tools.  I've tried re-running the adprep tool but get a message 0x57 already prepared.

I am doing it training l microsoft exams l mcts questions

Top 100 Contributor
Points 5
zlatan24 replied on Sun, Oct 31 2010 10:45 AM

My mother often use MS Exchange and once she ran upon an unusual issue, to her good fortune, she discovered a tool, whi
ch was found in a soft blog. It helped her and would aid here - mailbox exchange r
ecovery.

Hi Allan

the AD will be prepared, the issue is a time out of the replication.  I suggest checking the obvious first.... network settings &  time on both servers.  The bugs in the install have been ironed out in the sbs 2010 but this probably does not help you at the moment.

You can try starting a command prompt during the pause - the task manager should allow you to do this.  Then at least you can see if its network or time issues.

regards

Matt

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS

(c)David Overton 2006-23