DavidOverton.com
This site is my way to share my views and general business and IT information with you about Microsoft, IT solutions for ISVs, technologists and businesses, large and small.  

Restoring from Bitlocker Encrypted Backup

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Points 42
JerryS posted on Tue, Dec 29 2009 9:38 PM

I recently read the article about encrypting backup drives.  It has worked fine, but I have had some problems trying to do full system restores using the encrypted drives.  The only real solution I have found is to connect the encrypted drive to a Windows 7 PC, then share the backup and do a network based restore.  This method will work in a pinch, but it has a number of drawbacks.  One of the biggest drawbacks is that the NICs in the Dell servers we are using do not support the legacy mode needed for a bare bones network restore, so we need to add a temporary card to do the recovery.

Ideally, I would like to be able to boot with the Server 2008 DVD, connect my USB drive and enter my password and restore the system from that drive.  However, this doesn't seem possible.  What is the preferred method for restoring from a Bitlocker encrypted USB drive.

• | Post Points: 21

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Points 84,751

Hi Jerry,

when you boot Windows into repair mode you should be able to a cmd prompt - you should then be able to mount the bitlockered drive.

Let me know if that does not work for you.

David

• | Post Points: 37
Top 200 Contributor
Points 5

I agree with you David.I really like your advice and suggestion.Thanks for sharing this.

Testking specializes in Microsoft mcse and Cisco CCNA Certifications.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Points 42

David,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you - an unexpected snow storm and holiday weekend has kept me from my test server until today.  I booted off the DVD, selected repair system, then went into the command prompt.  I found the manage-bde.wsf script in X:\Windows\System32 and tried running my unlock command.  However, I get an error "An error occured while connecting to the BitLocker management interface.  Check that you have administrative rights on the computer and the computer name is correct."

Thanks for your help,

Jerry

• | Post Points: 21
Top 50 Contributor
Points 31
allan replied on Tue, Jan 12 2010 7:50 AM

nice

==========

<a herf="http://www.certkiller.com/ASE-certification-training.htm/">ase exams</a>
Top 50 Contributor
Points 31
allan replied on Tue, Jan 12 2010 7:51 AM

ase exams

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS

(c)David Overton 2006-23