DavidOverton.com
This site is my way to share my views and general business and IT information with you about Microsoft, IT solutions for ISVs, technologists and businesses, large and small.  

Post migration problem

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Paulie Posted: Wed, May 31 2006 11:46 AM

Following on from the thread of "SBS 2003 Migration to new hardware"...

I spent my bank holiday performing a migration on a production machine.  Needless to say a few things came up which didn't happen when I did it on my test setup!

Anyway, as ever in the end it was all OK and the customer was very happy with the performance of thier new machine.  But I have one remaining problem.

The system wont boot!

Basically the RAID 5 array of the new production machine dosent appear to be bootable.  The data was copied to the array by using software mirroring in Windows using an IDE disk from the old machine as its source.  Once the mirroring process had completed the mirror was broken and no part of the old machine is now in use.

The new machine currently has a Windows boot floppy in the drive which brings the machine up no problem.  But this is hardly ideal.  Using the recovery console I run the fixboot and fixmbr commands but these have not made any difference.

Anyone have any ideas?  I am sure the fix must be simple?

• | Post Points: 21
Top 10 Contributor
Points 84,751

is the partition marked as active?

ttfn

David

Paulie replied on Sat, Jun 3 2006 10:05 AM

It certainly appears active in disk managment.  The option to reactive is not enabled.  It is running the OS so thats pretty active :D

Top 10 Contributor
Points 84,751

For the disk to be bootable, the partition needs to be marked as active - no if it is in use, but this special flag - have a look at diskpart help in windows to see how to mark the partition as active.

ttfn

David

Paulie replied on Tue, Jun 6 2006 6:46 PM

Thanks for your help David; you pushed me in the right direction enough to find the answer.  Basically I need to change the disk from being dynamic back to basic by modifying the boot sector.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS

(c)David Overton 2006-23