DavidOverton.com
This site is my way to share my views and general business and IT information with you about Microsoft, IT solutions for ISVs, technologists and businesses, large and small.  

Migration order

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 100 Contributor
Points 26
dslee posted on Sun, Apr 4 2010 5:58 AM

Hi David,

Great book. Bought it a while ago, and didn't really use it, but doing a new 2003-08 migration and haven't done one for a while, so good opportunity to use your stuff.

Your book skips over 'Migrate Exchange' to 'Remove legacy group policies...' and deals with the Exchange migration in the following chapter. Is there a good reason to do it out of the order of the wizard's list?

Thanks,

David

• | Post Points: 5

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
Points 26
dslee replied on Mon, Apr 5 2010 1:30 AM
Actually found out it's NOT a good idea to do it out of order from the wizard's list. Couldn't get the public folders to migrate in Exchange due to an SSL certificate error. I had exported and imported the commercial cert before doing the Exchange piece, and I suspect that was the root of the problem. So lesson learned - do it in the order Microsoft suggests in the wizard. Even the graphic in the book on the Exchange chapter shows the GPO piece as 'not started', so perhaps the Exchange stuff was just published out of order for the sake of a 'good' chapter subject?
  • | Post Points: 21
Top 10 Contributor
Points 84,751

Hi David,

I have been through the process in the order in the book, although not with an external SSL certificate.  Thanks for the feedback.

David

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS

(c)David Overton 2006-23