DavidOverton.com
This site is my way to share my views and general business and IT information with you about Microsoft, IT solutions for ISVs, technologists and businesses, large and small.  

Outlook 2007 prompting for password since migration

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 100 Contributor
Points 42
RichieP posted on Wed, Apr 28 2010 10:36 PM

Hi there

I bought the book to specifically help me migrate from SBS 2003 to SBS 2008.

Most of it went well but now Outlook keeps prompting for a username and password.

If I type in my old credentials or click cancel, I can send and receive, but it's a pain.

This is happening on both my Vista Business Desktop, and Windows 7 Ultimate laptop.

On the laptop it alternates between asking to log onto my old server name and remote.mydomain. On the desktop it's just remote.mydomain.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

• | Post Points: 21

All Replies

replied on Thu, May 6 2010 5:06 PM

I've got the exact same issue, and it's really cramping my style.  I noticed that the book never tells you to uninstall Exchange 2003 from the old SBS 2003 server - a microsoft support tech I'm working with seems to think the two may be related. :(  Grumble grumble grumble.  I bought this book relying on it to fill in the gaps from the MS migration whitepaper...I didn't expect _it_ to have a gap as glaring as not uninstalling Exchange 2003.  Not that I'm bitter or anything.

Top 100 Contributor
Points 42

I managed to solve this, although it may not work for you as this was happening on my test netwrok so I thought "what the hell?", I also need to learn how to do a fresh install of SBS 2008.

I did a fresh install and had the same problem! After banging my head on the wall for a few minutes, I Googled around a bit.

I installed Exchange Service Pack 2 using the installation tool. When I opened Outlook it asked again, but I put in the username as domainname.local\username and password and it's fine now.

Worth a try.

replied on Thu, May 6 2010 9:19 PM

I just fixed my issue - it turned out it was the **#&*^@(@<@^*#* proxy server's fault. :(  Grumble grumble.

All it took to fix it was to go into the advanced proxy server settings and exclude remote.domain.com.  I did that via GPO and all of a sudden everything started working again.

Stupid proxy server.  Bane of my existance.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS

(c)David Overton 2006-23