DavidOverton.com
This site is my way to share my views and general business and IT information with you about Microsoft, IT solutions for ISVs, technologists and businesses, large and small.  

Vista Hibernation - how to re-enable?

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

andrewbettany Posted: Thu, Oct 5 2006 12:05 AM

Hi,

On Vista 5728, I used the disk clean up wizard to clear out some space on my 30gig partition (somehow Vista reported only 3gig left (after only 2 weeks of use), and would not burn a data DVD because it had run out of space :-(

I ticked the box to remove the hibernation sys file, thinking I could simply re-enable hibernation once I had burned the DVD, deleted the temporary files and now have 6gig of space again, but after a reboot, I am unable to find an option to re-instate hibernation.

I have looked in power options and even followed the excellent help,but there is no where to Endable/Disable Hibernation.  There is of course the "Turn Hibernation on or off" but when I select this, I get "Change settings for the plan:Power Saver" and this only offers me sleep settings and there is no hibernation settings.

Please could anyone help?

Thanks

Andrew

Ps I would happily use "sleep", but my new Dell Inspiron wakes up after sleeping, but the screen is completely blank and I need to cold reset to restart the machine.  Alas that is another problem, which may need Dell to sort once they support Vista.

• | Post Points: 21
Top 10 Contributor
Points 84,751

what happens if you run the following from an elevated cmd prompt:

powercfg -H ON

ttfn

David

It works again.  Not checked the same issue in RC2, but I hope it is more obvious :-)

Many thanks

Andrew 

Top 75 Contributor
Points 26
tunive replied on Sat, Mar 10 2007 9:03 PM

I have faced exactly the same thing and this command line does not work on vista pro with an admin account and says:

You do not have permission to enable or disable the hibernation feature

:)

Tunc

Top 75 Contributor
Points 26
tunive replied on Sat, Mar 10 2007 9:12 PM

Hi Guys, I got this and it works

RESOLUTION

loadTOCNode(1, 'resolution');
To resolve this issue, use the PowerCfg command-line tool to enable the hibernation feature. To do this, follow these steps.

Note If the computer does not support the hibernation feature, you cannot enable the feature. For information about how to use the PowerCfg tool to determine whether the computer supports the hibernation feature, see the "More Information" section.
1. Click Startthe Start button, type command in the Start Search box, right-click Command Prompt in the Programs list, and then click Run as administrator.

User Account Control permission If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue.
2. At the command prompt, type powercfg /hibernate on.

:)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Points 84,751

1st off, check that the prompt you are typing the command from is an admin prompt - look at http://uksbsguy.com/blogs/doverton/archive/2007/03/12/how-to-start-an-administrative-or-elevated-command-prompt-and-tell-if-you-got-it-right-in-vista.aspx for more information on how to check.

ttfn

David

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS

(c)David Overton 2006-23