DavidOverton.com
This site is my way to share my views and general business and IT information with you about Microsoft, IT solutions for ISVs, technologists and businesses, large and small.  

Is this possible, or am I missing the point of SPS

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 3 Followers

Spectra Posted: Wed, Feb 28 2007 8:47 PM

Hi

We have just moved over to SBS, and as part of this we have sharepoint.  We already have existing project folders, which contain docs, software etc, is it possible to overlay sharepoint over these folders so sharepoint gives us nice 'fluffy' remote access to them? if it is possible, then how do I do this?  (sorry if this is a 'how do I build the space shuttle in two brief sentances')

We have quotation files, plus various other docs which it would be really nice to have access to, but it does seem somewhat time consuming to have to sit and upload each one.

If this is really obvious, what is the best resource for support on sharepoint?

Thanks

Richard

• | Post Points: 21
Top 10 Contributor
Points 84,751

Richard,

You have two options:

1. Go to the SBS Server Management Console, click on the Internal Web Site link and then "Import Files"
  2. Try typing in "\\companyweb\general documents"- you should see the sharepoint folder as a share - copy all the files you want across - you can obviously do other stores in the same way :-)  This makes moving files much easier.

I hope that helps.

ttfn

David

Top 25 Contributor
Points 67
craigap replied on Mon, Oct 8 2007 9:49 AM

Hi David,

Is there a way for an uploaded file/folder to automatically update when a new file is added to the main folder on the server?

Craig

Top 10 Contributor
Points 84,751

Craig,

not sure I understand, but are you saying that when someone copies a file to \\server\share you want it to appear on \\companyweb\documents?  If so, it can be done with scripts, but why not simply tell them where to put it in the 1st place?  Uploading to \\companyweb\documents means that it appears in http://companyweb/documents if you weren't sure.

thanks

David

Top 25 Contributor
Points 67
craigap replied on Sat, Oct 20 2007 10:35 PM

Hi David

Thanks for your reply. Are you sayin gjust to use the sharepoint side of things to manage my files as opposed to having two seperate systems?

If so, I assume this would stop twice as many files beingstored as when I copied the files in to sharepoint it seemed to make another copy.

Thanks

Craig

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS

(c)David Overton 2006-23