DavidOverton.com
This site is my way to share my views and general business and IT information with you about Microsoft, IT solutions for ISVs, technologists and businesses, large and small.  

Remote web workplace SSL

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers

Spectra Posted: Thu, Mar 1 2007 8:03 PM

Hi

to access our remote web workplace we have to enter the ip address, this works well, but I get an error saying the certificate is invalid. I can continue to the site and it works well, but the URL bar is red with a comment at the end about the invalid certificate. 

I created it using the to do list setp wizard (I entered the ip address as the website).  Is this caused because I haven't purchased a certificate?

Thanks

Richard

• | Post Points: 21
Top 10 Contributor
Points 969
tezfair replied on Sat, Mar 3 2007 7:59 PM

short answer: Yes

long answer: You need to get a verisign certificate.

I explain to clients how to install the certificate so you don't get asked each time you use it.

Tez 

• | Post Points: 21
Top 10 Contributor
Points 84,751

OK, so I'm assuming that your site has a domain attached to it - eg www.mycompany.co.uk or something similar?  If so, regenerate the certificate with that name.  Then, any PC that is part of the SBS domain will have the right certificate loaded on it, so no problems.  For those that are not part of the domain, explain to them how to load it. e.g. when accessing the system from home.

If this is for other people to access then you will need to buy a certificate, however it does not need to be a verisign cert - any that has a known root authority will work.  Now, if you ever intend on getting this customer up and running with Windows Mobile then the list of root authorities is shorter, so check the Windows Mobile web site for that list and get something from that list for your SSL certificate.

ttfn

David

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS

(c)David Overton 2006-23