DavidOverton.com
This site is my way to share my views and general business and IT information with you about Microsoft, IT solutions for ISVs, technologists and businesses, large and small.  

server non responsive - help

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Points 116
bites-uk Posted: Thu, Apr 19 2007 8:16 AM

Hi

I'm having an issue with an SBS 2003 Premium server SP1.  The server becomes non repsonsive to most if not all traffic after running the backup, we run backup exec v9.0 sp1 and mcafee protection pilot 1.1 on the server

I can still ping the server and get a good response time however any other traffic ie remote desktop or file access or exchange does not respond. 

I've applied all the latest service packs including sp2 for windows 2003 server and sql express.

I thought it was ISA 2004 causing the issue so removed that as a test.  Its as though there is a firewall blocking outgoing traffic.

I have run a GFI Lan scan on the machine and get some responses although very slowly and get a list of ports.  I've tried accessing them and get no response

Port probing ( waiting 2 sec) [2/2] ...
17 open port(s).
Gathering banners ...
21 - FTP
FILESRV
Anonymous logins accepted ?
No
25 - SMTP
53 - Domain => Domain Name Server
80 - HEAD / HTTP/1.0
5800 - VNC => Remote Control Software
389 - LDAP => Light Directory Access Protocol
548 - AFP => Apple File Share
6001 - Cisco virtual Terminal
SMB probing ...
Connecting ...(1/6)
Name "FILESRV" encoded as "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
Session established.(2/6)
No negotiation.

Alerts probing ..
Checking FTP Alerts ...
Checking DNS Alerts ...
Checking Mail Alerts ...
Checking Service Alerts ...
Checking RPC Alerts ...
Checking Miscellaneus ...
Checking Information ...
Ready

If I restart the server with a hard reset the server starts up ok and runs normally.  I've checked the event logs and nothing is reported.

Help! 

• | Post Points: 21
Top 10 Contributor
Points 969
tezfair replied on Thu, Apr 26 2007 10:47 PM

It sounds like a memory leak, and im guessing in Mcafee.

If you have a perpetual license you can log on to their secure download area and see if there's any updates.

Failing that, dump mcafee like I did and watch that server go like a rocket!!

Top 50 Contributor
Points 116

After trying uninstalling Backup exec and reinstalling it again I spent the night watching the backup start, an hour later and 11GB of data saved the server locked.  It turns out that some of the files were corrupt.  I excluded them from the backup and the server is running fine and completes the backup each night.  

Strange that Windows 2003 server did not report any events about corrupt data in the event logs. 

Top 10 Contributor
Points 969
tezfair replied on Sun, May 6 2007 10:35 PM

Backup programs will usually back up corrupt files. If it can be read it will backup.

Run chkdsk for any errors or bad sectors as it sounds more like a drive or file structure issue.

Tez 

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS

(c)David Overton 2006-23