DavidOverton.com
This site is my way to share my views and general business and IT information with you about Microsoft, IT solutions for ISVs, technologists and businesses, large and small.  

Copying Emails / Big Brother

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 75 Contributor
Points 26
SquonkV Posted: Fri, Apr 14 2006 2:01 PM

I have a challenge with a firm of Solicitor's for whom the Law Society has dictated that ALL incoming and outgoing email to and from ALL mail accounts must be 'vetted' by a Partner at a later date.  They are running SBS2003 Standard and I have created two Public folders, Incoming and Outgoing, as I thought this was the best way to go initially.  How does one 'copy' ALL emails from ALL users/mailboxes to their respective Public folders for later scrutiny WITHOUT upsetting the normal course of email delivery to its original recipient?  I have trawled the many and various web sites and can't find either the answer or correct tool/tools.  The Partner's Site @ Microsoft dot com has suggested that I need to archive the emails, but all this does is simply remove them from the original mail box when it deposits them in the public folders.  This is more of a 'big Brother' scenario, where all emails, regardless of who sends them to whom or from wherever, are copied to a discrete location within Exchange.  Any offers as to whether this is copying email, forwarding email or routing rule?  Maybe it's something completely different?   Trust someone, somewhere can help!

Best regards to all,

Pete

• | Post Points: 21
Top 10 Contributor
Points 84,751

Pete,

thanks for posting this question - following on from our previous discussion I have found a couple of ways to do this.

While I can not help you have all incoming in one folder and outgoing in another, I can help in other ways.  There is a feature of Exchange 2003 SP1 and above called Journalling which will copy all mails to another address - so a mail enabled public folder is possible.

Now, for some the current journalling features are not good enough, so there is an enhancement available to assist with this further keeping all information. Details of the enhancement can be found at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e7f73f10-7933-40f3-b07e-ebf38df3400d&DisplayLang=en

To get this working, I first created a mail enabled public folder, then right clicked on the Mailbox Store and turned on Journalling.  I selected the mail address for the folder (I called mine Audit).

I then checked and all mails also go into this public folder.

Hopefully this solves your requirements J

Ttfn

David

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Points 26
SquonkV replied on Sun, Apr 16 2006 12:04 PM

Thanks for the speedy reply, David.  It seems that this is the solution - never even thought it would be called Regulatory Compliance and Data Retention; doesn't exactly trip off the tongue, does it?  I'll trial it on my own SBS2003 test rig first before unleashing it on the client!  I'll post the results back here with this thread later.  Where would we be without Sarbannes-Oxley and the like, eh?  Once again, thanks for the reply.

Regards,

Pete

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS

(c)David Overton 2006-23