DavidOverton.com
This site is my way to share my views and general business and IT information with you about Microsoft, IT solutions for ISVs, technologists and businesses, large and small.  

Vista & RPC over HTTP on the Small Business Server 2003?

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

andrewbettany Posted: Tue, Sep 12 2006 6:36 PM

Hi,

Has anyone got RPC over HTTP with Vista RC1 & Outlook 2007 on a Small Business Server 2003?

I have my XP SP2 box quite happily connecting via  RPC over HTTP on the Small Business Server 2003, but not the Vista client.

Anyone got any tips / points of reference to get this working?  (Understandably the SBS newsgroups can't advise me on this yet, so I thought I would come to the Oracle....)

Regards

Andrew

--

• | Post Points: 21
Top 10 Contributor
Points 84,751

Andrew,

how are you seeing a failure here - have you been able to enable RPC over HTTP?  if so, what error are you seeing, if not, then look at the more options when you open up your exchange account under account manager.

thanks

David

• | Post Points: 21
Top 25 Contributor
Points 67

Andrew

For info - I've just installed RC2 (clean hard disk) and found no problems when trying to access the server (SBS Standard SP1) remotely using "http://servermane.domain.com/remote".  The only issue RC2 kicks up is the normal certificate problem (haven't figured out how to install the SBS certificate in IE7 yet!), everything else seems to be OK.

When RC1 was released I recall having remote connection difficulties but they were addressed in a Vista beta release prior to RC2.  It may be worthwhile downloading and installing RC2 if you can.  Hope this helps.

Now all I have to figure out is how best to connect Vista clients to the network - the "connectcomputer" URL approach doesn't want to work!

Good luck

Alastair

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Points 67

Andrew

Quick update for you.

Setting up Outlook 2007 for RPC over HTTP with Vista RC2 works!!!

If you are able to get hold of RC2 then follow the instructions on the RWW login page and also move the SBS certificate to the Trusted Certificate Root Folder on the pc\laptop you are using and setup should go smoothly!!!

Good luck

Alastair

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS

(c)David Overton 2006-23