DavidOverton.com
This site is my way to share my views and general business and IT information with you about Microsoft, IT solutions for ISVs, technologists and businesses, large and small.  

RWW sbs2003

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 0 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Points 21
Gregh77 Posted: Fri, Mar 30 2007 5:42 AM

Hi all, im new to sbs so please bear with me, i nhave setup sbs 2003 , the internet connection is ISDN into a dlink DI-804HV router into the first nic on sbs2003 server.

All working fine, now how do i setup remote access for remote users ?

all the users are power users accounts, so have built in remote access,

Q1 do i need to have the server a web address ie: www.sbs.com, for this access to work

Q2 should i just setup remote desktop connection, if so how do i set this up , with the router to fwd the ports etc

I would like to have the built in remote web page access , if i can,

but i just cant work this stuff out at all.

Hope someone can help me please.

Top 10 Contributor
Points 969
tezfair replied on Fri, Apr 6 2007 11:46 PM

You don't say if its std or premium or if you have 1 or 2 nics, but the way I set it up (usually with isa and 2 nics) is like this..

Get a Static IP. Run the internet connection wizard, and when it comes to web certificates, add the static IP address. Finish the wizard

Ensure that the people you want on RWW are in the RWW security group. get them to have very good 'sentences' rather than 'passwords'

On the remote accessing PC, type                     https://your static ip/remote

You will get a message about the web certificate, accept it, or install it permenantly

You should be up and running. It took me a while to figure out that the web certificate / static IP was the one stopping me from using RWW. I had the servers local IP, but that doesn't work <duh>

You will need to turn on remote desktop on the client machines for the users to connect, and the machines need to be left running all the time. Oh and RWW doesn't work under firefox.

That should be enough to get you up and running

Tez 

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS

(c)David Overton 2006-23