This is one big week for developers (as Mix was always going to be). We now also have data services in the cloud (http://www.microsoft.com/sql/dataservices/default.mspx)
SQL Server Data Services (SSDS) are highly scalable, on-demand data storage and query processing web services. Businesses use storage resources as needed transforming large upfront capital and operations expenditures into much smaller on-demand costs.
On-demand storage and access
- Store and query your data virtually any time, anywhere on the web.
- Use and pay for storage resources as you go.
Scales easily as your data grows
- Take advantage of virtually no restriction on the amount of data stored.
- Use the same service interfaces for your storage needs at any scale.
Easy to manage
- Easy to use web-based service for provisioning, deployment, and monitoring.
- Lights-out manageability and commodity hardware for lowest service cost.
SQL Server Data Services are built using robust Microsoft SQL Server database technologies and will provide strong service level agreement (SLA) covering high availability, performance, and protection against data loss.
Built using enterprise-class SQL Server Database technology as a storage node
- Industry Standard SQL Server and Windows server technologies.
- Years of experience running these technologies in-house.
- Novel distributed data fabric for massive scale out operation.
- Richer functionality exposed over time based on feedback from business customers.
High availability, security, and performance
- Store and manage multiple copies of the data for reliability.
- Back up data stored in each data cluster.
- Geo-redundant data copies to ensure business continuity.
- Secure data access to help provide business confidentiality and privacy.
- Input/output (I/O) are optimized for high throughput.
SQL Server Data Services supports simple web-programming interfaces like SOAP and REST for quick provisioning of web applications. Developers can focus on innovating with data while reducing their infrastructure and operational costs.
Web 2.0 friendly Interface API
- Support standards-based REST and SOAP interfaces designed to work with any Internet-development toolkit.
- Primary wire format is XML.
- A rich client library in C# or VB providing LINQ query support will be available.
- Endpoint secured by SSL.
Flexible Data Model for quick application development
- Flexible Entity Model.
- Simply add new attributes to your data set when needed, and the system will automatically store, index, and query your data accordingly.
- Flexible properties.
- Support for simple types: string, numeric, datetime, boolean.
- All properties are indexed.
Simple Query Model
Fri, Mar 7 2008 2:27 AM