I've been part of a lively debate on the Yahoo UK SBS Group about how to migrate from SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 and what the issues are. The information I have so far is good, but I need much more to take it to the product teams.
For sure, the issues so far are:
- Concerns around the "state" of AD before a migration is started - how do you check it - look at this blog post
- Concerns around the Exchange migration in terms of time taken and failure scenarios - how to remove the chances of this?
- Concerns around "on-site" versus "off-site" strategies
- Concerns around recovery options in the event of failures (restore from backup not being ideal if you want it diagnosed)
My problem is that I have no data to take to the Microsoft product teams, which means I can't ask them to fix things so this is a two fold open invitation.
- If you have had an issue, share it via comments below, but also PLEASE e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) as well so I can get in touch with you and potentially the product teams too. If you put your mail in the blog then others can see it. You are also welcome to just e-mail me, but then there will not be discussion in public, which might be a shame.
- Share other concerns so I can get them documented and addressed, but also use the Microsoft support - you can always send me the SR numbers if you want me to tie them together.
That is it - may the knowledge sharing continue!
Mon, Jan 19 2009 9:03 PM
Filed under: SBS 2003, Support and Tools, Community, Exchange, Windows Server 2003, SBSC, Microsoft, SBS 2003 R2, Small business, Partner, If you only read one post today, Windows Server 2008, SBS 2008